Re: A meeting on diversity in svs-model schools

Scott D Gray (sdg@world.std.com)
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 17:13:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, David Barulich wrote:

> Scott Gray David wrote:
>
> >So, in short, here's where we disagree. You support parents' rights to
> >force their kids to live within a particular framework. I support
> >_every_ person's right to live within a framework of his/her own making.
> >
> >(BTW, I think the fact that I have been able to _discuss_ and _question_
> >and _explore_ my elders' values has led me to respect them _more_ than if
> >they were handed down from on high. The free market of ideas allows
> >_correct_ ideas to persist, and so lends credence to those that have
> >withstood the test of time.)
>

> Barulich responds:
>
> Actually, Mr. David doesn't support every person's right to live within a
> framework of his/her own making. He wants to impose his values on others
> when it comes to how they raise their children. I think it's pretty
> ridiculous, on its face, to assert that someone raised in a traditional
> school cannot create a life of their own making. The only debate is, How
> soon in life do we hand over complete responsibility to children to begin
> making their own life?

(BTW, the name is Scott Gray, David is my middle name)

At the risk of sounding extremist (which, I suppose, I am), I _do_ want to
impose my values on those parents. In much the same way as certain people
imposed on others the notions of equal rights for women, emancipation for
slaves, etc. As I said before, this is where we disagree:

I _don't_ think a person has an inalienable right to control how other
individuals in their care/sphere live their lives... I maintain that the
state has _no_ right to interfere with individuals _except_ where
individuals (parents) are interfering with other individuals (children).

You see this as the right of parents to run their families as they see
fit... Its the same kind of issue over sovreignty that we're facing with
Iraq right now... Does a nation / locality / family have the right to deny
rights to people within its borders? And who has a right to intervene?

> SVS adherents have a different answer than most other parents.

--Scott Gray
sdavid@tiac.net