Re: the right to purse excellence

Wed, 30 Apr 1997 22:24:25 -0700

Deborah Bartle wrote:
<snip>
> I have heard this same theme in different variations before. That somehow,
> as citizens, we should feel obligated to work to the betterment of public
> education (even though everyone knows it's broken).
<snip>

Deborah your first priority is to your own family. You are NOT to
sacrifice yourself or your children or your family to any other group,
especially the State.

But then again you can do like we did. Put your children in private
school(homeschooling was not legal 20 years ago) and continue to attend
School Board meetings, speaking up, writing letters to the editor,...
you can even run for School Board as I have done many times. If you
don't have time when your children are growing then pledge to be
involved after they are grown.

The welfare schools are for children of the poor and the children of
parents who do not have a clue. Be a good example and others will
follow you. Your efforts will be multiplied. Let your children tutor
the welfare students, participate in 4H with them, baseball, whatever
they are interested in. Don't separate yourselves.

You can volunteer at a food bank without taking any food home with you
so why can't you work to improve your public schools, if you want to,
without ruining your children's lives? Get your priorities straight
Deborah. I have heard that 40% of the teachers in the Chicago schools
have their children in private schools. Certainly many of our
government representatives including the Clinton's do.

And last but not least.

When you make a decision, when you take decisive action you may upset
someone. Sometimes we are defined best by who are enemies are rather
than who are friends are. Tell the neighbor and his ilk to go to H---.
Neighbors come and go but your children will be with you until you or
they die. Your children and your grandchildren and their children will
thank you for your courage. Dale

--
Seattle Washington U.S.A.
dale-reed@worldnet.att.net