Re: the right to pursue excellence (OBE)

Deborah (dbartle@pacbell.net)
Fri, 09 May 1997 15:28:58 -0700

stiobhard wrote:
> my take is that the right isnt against standards as such... they just
> want the standards to meet their party line. ie. they have been
> hypercritical of the social studies standards because any attempt to
> write standards that emphasis critical thinking rather than fact
> memorisation gets their worldview all in a huff. there is also the
> whole gabler textbook thing as well.

Yes, some conservatives see it as politically motivated historical
and cultural distortion. Starting with Christopher Columbus and the
Pilgrims who have been vilified and ending with the 80's "Decade of
Greed."

It just amazes me how political education truly is.

Deborah