Re: [Fwd: JONESVILLE EXPLANATION]

Charlie Wilkinson (cwilkins@boink.clark.net)
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 18:07:21 -0500

On Thu, Apr 02, 1998 at 07:57:30AM -0800, Dale R. Reed wrote:

> Most of the violence in the world is done under the awesome power of
> government. Government is the only institution we give the power to
> initiate violence against peaceful persons so I think we should start
> reducing its effect on our society(I separate voluntary society from
> forced politics) about 1 percent each year until it is almost gone.

I think that government actions help to make violence acceptable on a
larger scale, but I must agree with the other poster who said that parents
are *granted* the power to abuse. Normally, I'd be an advocate of giving
people the freedom to screw up, but feel quite differently about giving
someone the freedom to screw up someone else. Certainly the matter is
complicated by the inability of various cultures to reach a consensus
on what constitutes actionable abuse.

> Another thing that I propose.
>
> I think that each of us should start lobbying the governors of our
> states to issue proclamations:
>
> THE PARENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR CHILDREN'S EDUCATIONS

Indeed. Since some people seem to have a hard time comprehending the
obvious, an official statement of the obvious is probably in order. ;-/

> PS Some of you would be interested in the final article(which is about
> what we are doing to our children) of Ayn Rand's "The New Left: The
> Anti-Industrial Revolution." The article is called "The Comprachicos."
> The article was first published in 1970.

I don't suppose you could point me at an online copy?

-cw-