Re: DSM: Educational Reform

Robin Martin (roses9@IDT.NET)
Fri, 22 May 1998 17:19:42 -0500

Paul,

Well-stated! I often catch myself pushing against traditional education,
and then try to shift my thinking to-- "Okay, so I don't care for that,
WHAT DO I WANT TO BE ABOUT?" And as I shift my own thinking, toward being
FOR something instead of AGAINST something, I find that my communications
with others in education become much more productive. As you say, people
do listen--when you're not pushing against what they think they believe in.
There are really many elements to SVS & other such free models of schools
that many people agree with--IF they aren't too busy trying to defend
traditional schools.

And I liked Teresa's idea too--of doing more research in the area of
alternative education & in particular SVS-models. Even though SVS is "on
the fringes" (or leading edge!) of schooling & reform, I really don't think
it's all that inconsistent with the values held by a great many people in
this country. Mostly, it's just soo different that many people aren't
quite ready for it YET...but times are changing...and slowly people ARE
going to see the effectiveness of alternative approaches... (An
unfortunate truth, I think, is that as traditional schools become more
violent, as we've seen too many times in recent months/days, people will
begin searching even more for schools where love, respect, and community
are also central parts of their schools & what gets learned...)

Have a fun & loving memorial day weekend!

--Robin

"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to
become what they are capable of being." --Goethe.