Re: A meeting on diversity in svs-model schools

David Barulich (barulich@earthlink.net)
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 06:47:11 -0700 (PDT)

Scott Gray David wrote:

>So, in short, here's where we disagree. You support parents' rights to
>force their kids to live within a particular framework. I support
>_every_ person's right to live within a framework of his/her own making.
>
>(BTW, I think the fact that I have been able to _discuss_ and _question_
>and _explore_ my elders' values has led me to respect them _more_ than if
>they were handed down from on high. The free market of ideas allows
>_correct_ ideas to persist, and so lends credence to those that have
>withstood the test of time.)

Barulich responds:

Actually, Mr. David doesn't support every person's right to live within a
framework of his/her own making. He wants to impose his values on others
when it comes to how they raise their children. I think it's pretty
ridiculous, on its face, to assert that someone raised in a traditional
school cannot create a life of their own making. The only debate is, How
soon in life do we hand over complete responsibility to children to begin
making their own life?

SVS adherents have a different answer than most other parents.