DSM: Re: homogeneous/home schooling

Larry Davidson (ljd@world.std.com)
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 22:20:27 -0400

Joe Jackson <shoeless@erols.com> writes:
>>Larry Davidson writes:
>>The word is "homogeneous," not "homogenous." The root "homo-" comes from
>>the Greek word for "same."
>So if the word "home" comes from the latin origins of the root "homo", then
>the flavors of the words "home" and "homogeneous" should match.

Ah, but it doesn't. One minor point is that "homogeneous" is Greek, not
Latin. The Greek root "homo-," as in "homosexual" and "homeopathy," is
unrelated to the Latin word "homo" with its root "homin-," meaning "human
being," as in "hominid" and "homicide." The more significant point is that
the English word "home" is based neither on Greek nor on Latin: it's a good
old Anglo-Saxon word coming from Middle English "hom," which comes from Old
English "ham," which in turn comes from Proto-Indo-European "kei" of all
things! Now, if you're still with me and I haven't put you to sleep, you
must be wondering what else comes from "kei." It turns out that a
surprisingly wide variety of words--including "Bohemia", "cemetery",
"citizen", "city", "civic", "hamlet", "haunt", "Henry", and "Shiva" (the
Hindu god, that is, not the Yiddish/Hebrew period of 7 days of
mourning)--come from "kei," by way of complex linguistic transformations
through a number of intermediate languages:

And, on a different subject, Joe Jackson also writes:
>homeschooled kids have always struck me as a little automaton-like.
Others have thrown in their 2 cents' worth already, but I have to admit to
being a little surprised at some of the sweeping generalizations on both
sides, whether agreeing or disagreeing. Of course your mileage may vary,
but my own experience working with kids who have been homeschooled is that
there is no pattern at all. Some are indeed automaton-like, or willful,
uncooperative, and poorly socialized; others are at peace with themselves
and successfully independent. It seems pretty much like the range of
behaviors and attitudes found in kids who have attended public and private
schools!