Re: DSM: [SVS Discussion Board] Re: Child Safety

Scott Gray (sdg@sudval.org)
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 12:27:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I'm Scott Gray, from the Sudbury Valley School in Massachusetts.

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Andrew Smallman wrote:

> My question has to do with how the age markers were determined. Mike
> wrote, "Those between eight and thirteen years old are required to 'sign
> out' and be accompanied when they take advantage of the 'open campus'
> policy. Those under eight years (who typically lack parental permission to
> leave campus), are now constrained as well by a school policy that
> restricts them to campus except for organized 'school excursions'."

An examination of local law and precedent, and a gut decision as to what
the lowest age is that could be defended in the Massachusetts courts if we
were ever challenged. It really is a gut decision -- whatever number one
puts forward, some people would be much more comfortable if it were a
little higher, and others are convinced that we could adequately defend an
age that is a little lower.

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdg@sudval.org
http://www.sudval.org/~sdg
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad
measures.

-- Daniel Webster