DSM: Sharing the SVS model

Julianne Madrid (huli_madrid@yahoo.com)
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 11:35:41 -0800 (PST)

I currently work in a public middle school and what
I've read about the model just makes so much sense.
It has been a process, however, to give up the
assumptions I have about schooling as a society.

So, as I look to create a school, I have been sharing
with people around me the possibility I see in the SVS
model. The thing that seems to be the biggest hang up
for people is that children won't learn anything. I
know this was my initial thought when I first started
reading about the model, and it requires giving up
control. In my (fairly useless) education classes we
spend so much time talking about how to control a
classroom. Letting go is very scary for most people.

I've been puzzled about what is at the root of this
assumption that children won't learn anything. It
seems to me that it stems from the fact that we think
people are inherently flawed. So then, getting people
to see the value in the SVS model would require them
accepting that humans aren't inherently flawed? Does
anyone have any comments on this?

=====
Julianne Madrid :)
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes." --Mahatma Gandhi