Re: DSM: We like minded people

Tue, 07 Nov 2000 23:01:39 -0800

You may have a point (see below). I'd like to hear it from some of the
Sudbury students. Any care to reply?

I am wondering why this question comes up for me so strong and gets little
support from others. Now that I think about it, I guess my life stands out
as an individual looking for the surprise life has to offer. All my life I
have read the out-there opinions in various magazines, searched religions,
requested deep discussion, paid attention to the far-out movies and radio
and tv shows, went to lectures, etc. And now the internet. My serious
studies were also a little bit to the left -- massage, behaviorism,
sociology, religions. Never have I felt settled with status quo as a role
model and as an answer to what life is about. Always have I searched out the
exceptional role models.

My brother's words forever ring in my ears, "Why can't people just be
happy?!" I might phrase it slightly different, Why don't people choose to be
ecstatic for this adventure-opportunity, life? My brother did not find
others interested in the simple quest for happiness. When he asked me for
the source, the answer to what is life about, I told him that the best I
could find was in the book of Mark in the Bible. A few months later my
brother shot himself. Sixteen, just when the cerebrum is supposed to explode
in creativity.

I so empathize! Life was not meant to be about going to seven-eleven store
for beer and cigarettes, watching music videos, competition and hate and
fear, getting good grades only to struggle in anxiety at some awful job to
make ends meet. One can set aside the memory of great joyful desire and awe
known in youth, but it may still remain as the purpose of our lives.

robert