Re: DSM: Sharing the SVS model

Kristin Harkness (kristin@harkness.net)
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 13:27:29 -0500

I know you need to believe this because, how else could you live with
yourself? Think about it. How else could you go to work each day and
collect your paycheck, benefits, and live with yourself if you had to
abandon whatever misguided sense of mission you think you have to mold the
next generation if you accepted the fact that you are the enemy. What would
life mean to you had to accept that not only are you the enemy but you're
just a cog in a colossal machine which incarcerates and oppresses children?

You may kid yourself and maybe even some of your "students", but you will
fool no one who has had the benefit of watching children grow up as free
citizens. It is clear that you actually believe that the kids in your class
are free and are treated with respect by you so much so that they would
actually choose to attend your class by their own free will as if they
actually had a choice in the matter. So I offer you this challenge. On a
beautiful spring day when you have scheduled a test, give your "students"
the option to leave the institution to go where they want, and do whatever
they want without any penalty whatsoever. We all know, your class would
empty out in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, we also know you don't have the
power to offer them real freedom, because if you actually took this
challenge, you would be fired in the next heartbeat, thereby underscoring
the undeniable fact that you are nothing more than a cog in this oppressive
machine.

Just as some slave owners were "nicer" than others, you may fall into that
category of "teacher" who is perceived as nicer than the sadists of your
profession. But make no mistake about this. In my opinion, you are little
more than a guard of children who have been incarcerated by the state
through no fault of their own.

Dawn Harkness