Thu, 09 Nov 2000 01:44:28 -0800

Absolutely (see Bruce's statement below), Sudbury is such a different
paradigm that this round peg won't fit into the square hole of public or
institutional education. I empathize with your sentiments and agree in the
context in which you have spoken.

But... there's another context. Even SVS evolved. It evolved as discussions.
It became a building and funding. It became an initial group of
administration. Then the administration changed. Teachers changed. Finally,
there has been the intent that SVS population evolve into something much
larger. So, we see that SVS had its own square hole as an administration
that had to change. Also the culture -- the culture began with small
intimacy. This intimacy developed the expansive legal (litigious) culture.
Just imagine if SVS had jumped into an arena of six hundred students or
more?

The same for a public school. Behavior must be shaped. Begin with a small
room for a small group working out details of democratic freedom for select
compliant students. Establish an advantage as a clear result of democracy
and make this particular value public. At a later date find more rooms and
make them look formal. Allow several groups to "compete" (there are no
loosers, just democratic choices) for advantages. Democratically choose
among exemplified methods and advantages, and appoint (or elect) the
pertinent people to carry out the wishes of the voters. Push a bill of
rights through the general school political system in support of your
student's efforts. Speak to the press that families and other schools
acquire a positive ideation about the changes you are initiating. Allow
progressive students to stand in front, fully supported by the rest of the
school. What has been done for the evolution of competitive sports can be
used in support of democracy and personal non-competitive development.

robert