Re: DSM: Diversity - YEAH!

John Axtell (newlife@theofficenet.com)
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:32:34 -0800

Dear Joe,

 You asked - "What is the premise of John Axtell "firmly believing in
diversity" and Dawn Harkness "not"? Is it that she thinks that reforming
public schools is a
waste of time? Subsequent to that, is it his position that the movement as
a whole does not value diversity as highly as he does?

The point of my response to Dawn's well put response was to tell Anna that I do
not agree with Dawn's believe that working in a public school where everything
is not how you want it to be is a waste of time, or however she put it. I
especially wanted to tell Anna that I encouraged her to do her best in a
country and political system that can, with little problem, eliminate
"undesirables", which Anna could easily become, without having to give up her
massive salary of $10 a month or go to jail for her "unhealthy" thoughts she is
trying to instill in the students of the nation she is entrusted with.

When I was in international personnel I worked with individuals in 23 different
countries a was responsible for placing their children in appropriate schools.
I value Anna's attempts to make a change in the public school system I do not
consider her efforts worthless.

BY THE WAY ---- WOULD ANYONE LIKE TO AGREE TO SEND ME $ 10.00 A MONTH THAT I
COULD WIRE TO ANNA TO SUPPORT A SV MODEL.

I will be the first to agree to do it if we can get 100 people committed to the
concept. That would give us $ 1,000 a month income. That would not be much and
we might want to wait until we have 100 people at $20.00 a month to make sure
we have enough money - I am not sure but I expect you get the idea.

Since her large teacher's salary that Dawn is concerned about is only $10 a
month we could at least double her salary.

When I get a large enough sum and Anna has worked out the finances and legal
problems and has learned how to implement a SV model in her country, with the
help hopefully of people on this list and a donation of the $400 package, I
will wire the money to her. By then we might even have more people donating to
the cause.

Now Joe to the issue of diversity.

Diversity to me means that there is no one right way to do anything. The
concept of "right" is relative, not absolute. I also do not believe that
government has the "right" to define what is "right" and what level of
"diversity" is acceptable, but they do it.

Dawn, in her posts seems to think that there is no place for the public school
system, in any country!!!! the SV model is THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIGHT. I
admire her conviction but do not agree with it.

I am the same person who is outraged with a government that takes great joy in
social engineering and using tax dollars taken from taxpayers to do it. Believe
it or not I really do believe in freedom, real freedom, not the kind that we in
the United States pretend to have. I believe not only children but adults have
the right to association, to serve who they want to serve, and to do so in a
public building. I do not believe my right to use a public building should be
based on conditions except that I take care of the property that I am using.

I have a very hard time understanding how a person who feels so strongly, and
in my opinion rightly so, that freedom for children is a right but not for
adults or that it is the proper role of government to limit our right or
association.

If one follows the logic you use that government has the right to force our way
of thinking we will end up in the same situation Anna is in. Her government has
really decided who she will associate with, what she can say - so as not to
offend any of the "chosen" ones who shall not be offended and on an on. ( As I
remember it they just lost their freedom of the press.) However they let their
kids drink hard liquor and smoke, something I expect that those espousing
freedom in the SV model would legislate against taking away individual freedom
with no feelings of guilt at all.

By this time you may understand that I am thinking broad policy and educational
and social outcome, not now it might be implemented in a very, very small
school with a few like mined people.

Now to get back to the real point I was trying to make in replying to Anna.

I think Dawn's response represents a very narrow view of life that I disagree
totally with. I am sure she disagrees with my broad perspective of the ranges
of educational paradigms that may be appropriate in different locals, nations,
cities, and cultures. I am not sure a SV model works for blacks as a group in
the inner city, but I am not sure it does not, that is why I am part of this
group - to learn.

Dawn certainly has a right to her opinion and I honor her right to have it. I
honor your right to have your opinions. I actually value Dawn's and your
opinions - they really make me think as to what the consequences are of ideas
different from my own and I try to think what would happen if the ideas were
put into policy.

By the way black's personally are not even an issue for me as there is not one
black person I know of for miles and miles from our community but there are a
lot of American Indians. I am interested in how the model works for different
segments of our society.

I hope this explains what my concept of diversity is and that I do not believe
diversity is something that should be socially engineered by our government as
they have managed to do for years and are now beginning to reverse.

I think the main point is that I value all kinds of educational paradigms,
though I may not support them with my votes - but often I support school levies
and bonds even though I think the system is not right for my children. I
respect the right others have to "do their thing" and would like them to give
me the same right but our government certainly has said no to that.

Neither do I believe that when a school gets $ 6,000 per student a year those
with normal or above normal intelligence should be required to give a lot of
their money to take care of a student who has to have a special school bus, has
to have a person beside him all day long to control his behavior, and simply
can not do any independent behavior at all.

I believe in REAL EQUALITY - each student should get the same amount of money
regardless of race, intelligence, athletic ability, course of study or
whatever. I know I have little chance of seeing that happen. Getting a levy
passed to improve our science department is impossible but passing the same
amount of money to pay for the sports program is no problem at all.
Incidentally has anyone noticed that a lot of sports programs have a
disproportionate amount of blacks on them. Could it be whites are being
discriminated against because blacks are better in sports than whites?

By what logic can someone conclude that an educational paradigm can only be
valid if it allows everyone in. That is just nuts. We are enjoying the
opportunity to have "disadvantaged" individuals in our "regular" classrooms. It
achieves the objectives of social engineering our government has to reduce the
educational level of everyone in the public school. It takes money needed by
gifted and normal students and spends it on students that can not function in
the classroom.

Now as to my personal beliefs. I am trying to understand the SVM without having
the money to buy the $ 400 package. I have home schooled for over 20 years and
just last year my son joined the public school system.

I am trying to grasp the model's concept of "freedom". It is a concept I have a
lot of problems defining. As a home schooler I have practiced freedom. I have
an 18 year old that is just now learning to read. He is doing it not because he
wants to but because I told him he had to. No freedom there. Some of my other
children stopped home schooling in the 8th grade or lower, lived their lives,
entered the community college and have gone on to get a graduate degree now
that was freedom, but on the other hand one has been on welfare since she left
home and the government happily supports her and her three children, now that
is freedom.

I have very good friends that are gay. I got 7 weeks of medical treatment at a
facility and I was the only one who did not have AIDS. They are all dead now. I
miss them. The questions I ask are dealing with the SV model. I have some
specific ones that I would appreciate your take on if they do not drive you
nuts.

1. Obviously SV model allows gays in. Do they allow cross dressers as
teachers, students ? Do they allow two boys to show affection to each other
physically or do they have to hide their feelings. Is the same standard applied
to boy / girl relationships and if there are standards where does the freedom
of expression and the "right" to be oneself come in or where does it stop.

2. Is the SV model of freedom simply defined as what the JC allows, or the
bylaws allows or is there really freedom of expression. Can student's smoke or
drink if they wish?

I do not have my mind made up that there is little difference between a
"teacher" in the SV model and a traditional setting. In fact I am trying to
understand how a person in the SV model could possibly hold the title of
"teacher" rather than coach or resource person. The definition of a teachers
seems contrary to the purpose of SV model.

I would find it most interesting to know why you feel the SV model is not
changing minds. From what this list says I think that the SV model is more
effective in changing minds than the traditional school system. I am not
placing a value on the function of changing minds but simply believe it occurs
daily and can not be prevented and I happen to think the paradigm of SV model
is more "mind changing" than a public school setting.

Again I really value the input of everyone on this list and never take offense
at others having differing opinions, in fact I enjoy the debate. I wish you and
Dawn and everyone on this fantastic list a wonderful holiday season.

John Axtell