RE: DSM: Interest increasing?

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:52:52 -0500

Hello.

> I'm one of the founders of the Living School. The Sudbury model is one of
> our inspirations, but we do not plan to necessarily adopt every aspect of
> the model. We see the Living School as a community in which the
> participants
> decide what forms are used. So, we may not end up with decisions made by
> majority vote in a School Meeting, or with a JC, or an Assembly.
> Or, we may
> end up with something very much like all of those particular forms.

I believe that structures such as School Meeting and JC are not necessarily
part of the model, and in a Sudbury Model school, the participants DO decide
what structures to use...

> We definitely do not "have something specific in mind we want to teach the
> kids." In spirit, I think we are very much like a Sudbury school, and in
> fact I often refer to the Sudbury model when I talk to people about the
> Living School.

That's great to hear!

> But as we are not adopting the model wholesale, it
> would not
> be accurate to call ourselves a Sudbury school.

I'm interested, since the only real constants of the model is that the
students and staff see to the day-to-day governance, and that learning is
student-led (two concepts you are in harmony with), why aren't you starting
a Sudbury School?

I understand the flexibility you seek, but since that very flexibility is
inherent in the model, why would you choose to differentiate yourself from
the range of existing SM schools, with all of their varying governance
styles and judicial systems?

I'm not trying to persuade you, I'm just interested.

-Joe Jackson