Re: DSM: Interest increasing?

Prohibido1@aol.com
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:35:31 EST

In a message dated 1/4/01 10:18:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
shoeless@jazztbone.com writes:

<< There's a couple
 of schools around which are quite strict about self-initiated learning &
 democratic governance that choose not to call themselves Sudbury Model
 schools, New School in DE and Tutorial School (formerly Community School of
 Santa Fe) in NM come to mind.

 However I would be wary. On their links page there's links to conventional
 coercive/grading/testing schools like Northern Virginia New School right
 under Sudbury Valley. That seems a bit strange to me. They call their
 staff "mentors", which gives me the heebie-jeebies. >>

I visited the Tutorial School in Santa Fe this summer. It uses consensus
instead of J.C. It is quite non-restrictive and promotes self initiated
activities.