DSM: Exposure to information

Marko Koskinen (marko@vapaus.net)
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 18:22:12 -0500

No-one is born expert, regardless of genes. To be an expert requires
lots of learning (I don't use word "work" because it is often related to
negative feelings and I consider learning to be possible only via
positive feelings). I would say that genes define 10% at most of the
expertice, and I would guess that 1% is closer to the truth. Secondly
there is infinite amount of issues that people can be exposed to and I
really haven't been able to find out how could anyone define which are
the most important issues to be exposed to. Actually, what makes people
different, in addition to genes, is the fact that we are exposed to
different things, and I would consider this a good thing rather than bad
thing. If Einstein wasn't exposed to math, he might have become "the
best" violinist in the world, or "the best" meteorologist, or "the best"
whatever, or then he wouldn't have. There just isn't any way of telling
that, and there is no way of telling which alternative is the best and
which the worst.

This said, I can't figure what did you mean by exposure. If you ment
external, forced exposure, I think my reasoning shows that there isn't
any rational reason for it and if you did some other kind of exposure, I
would like to hear what it would be.

I believe a Sudbury type of environment is pretty close to an optimal
exposure to different things without coersion.

Marko