RE: DSM: Exposure to information

Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 15:01:00 -0800

This whole exposure thing has provoked a lot of thought from the beginning
(6 or 7 years ago, when Diablo Valley School was still largely a gleam in
Amy Ares's eye ;-) )for me - at home, I don't expose my kids to stuff I'm
not interested in, but at the same time, at our house there's a piano,
guitar, violin, thousands of books, lots of cooking and woodworking
equipment, sewing and knitting supplies - but not bagpipes, videos in
French, German or Japanese, electric trains, chemistry supplies, quilting
frames, wood carving tools, and a million other things. We do check out
museums and an occasional concert, but not opera (yet) - these are my and my
wife's biases at work.

I'm not forcing our kids to pursue any interest, but I don't pretend not to
be pleased when my 9 year old decides to read a book on math, or my 7 year
old wants piano lessons - I'm thrilled, and act like it. And, whatever we
say about freedom, a kid whose mom writes stories or whose dad attends city
council meetings has a different experience of the world than a kid whose
parents don't do these things, but do build kit cars and speak Farsi. And on
and on.

This brings me back to my recurring theme of 'good' versus 'perfect' - a
home and a school should be full of the stuff that people in them are
genuinely interested in, and free of the stuff that is merely good for us in
somebody's expert opinion. As Steven Wright so perfectly said: You can't
have everything - where would you put it? So a good (if not 'perfect' in
some theoretical sense) environment will be strongly biased by the interests
(and culture, and language and skills) of the people in it. As long as
everyone is free of coercion and has their choices respected - it's very
good, and, I venture, good enough.

Joseph