Re: DSM: about Sudbury model

Marko Koskinen (marko@vapaus.net)
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:16:21 -0500

Joseph wrote:
> How about leaving people free to choose which norms they consider
> irrational, and to fight against them if and how they wish? Why should it be
> the staff's responsibility?

I admit that it's not an easy and simple question. But as I've said IMO
everybody's responsible of practically everything. What I want to
accomplis with my school is to give as much freedom to the young people
that attend as possible. And because the cultural norms are usually
pretty strong and usually restrict the freedom of the people in certain
culture, I consider it rational to stand against all irrational cultural
norms as much as possible so that the young people could see that
alternatives are possible and could make those decisions more freely. Of
course everybody should be free to stand against whatever norms they
choose to stand against or be free not to. But I just consider this a
rational way of behavior in order to accomplis as much freedom as
possible.

And it's not possible to stand visibly against some of the norms in
order to keep the school going. For example standing against the sexual
norms would probably provoce so much opposition that the school would be
closed. But there are means of reaching for more rational behavior
amongst a group of people and that is what I'm supposing.

Marko