Re: DSM: Sudbury: philosophy or model?

Ben Robins (ben_robins@hotmail.com)
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 02:15:12

Hey,

>Now I'm trying to sort them out. :-) Near as I can tell, Sudbury schooling
>is more of a philosophy than a practice.

The Sudbury model is based on the Sudbury philosophy, so there's both.
Certainly there is flexibility in the model, but there are core parts, such
as you don't tell students what interests to pursue.

www.sudval.org/svs/crisis.html, an article by Sudbury Valley School,
supports schools based on "Individual Rights, Political Rights, and Equal
Opportunity" and specifies what they mean by those terms.

>How, if at
>all, would one differentiate Montessori, Waldorf, and Sudbury-model
>schools?

Head to www.fairhavenschool.com and click on Articles, then on "So You're
Sort of Like..."

Ben "can't stop posting" Robins