Re: DSM: RE: Unschooling?

From: Podway / Van Dertol Family (robinsp@gateway.net)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 20:28:36 EDT

> >They often ask for art classes, science classes, museum visits, etc. and,
> >as parents, we facilitate those requests. There is NO coersion on our part
> >- academically or socially - in fact quite the opposite.
>
> What do you mean by the opposite of coercion?

Not the opposite of coersion - the opposite of coersion on our part, being coersion on their part. They sometimes need to coerce us to do things we don't necessarily want to do.

> >The one aspect of development that we do enforce - so to speak- is the
> >responsibility to deal with emotional issues and conflicts openly and
> >honestly.
>
> If you are enforcing it, the responsibility is yours rather than theirs.

I suppose, to some degree, that is true, particularly if the person setting the boundaries or facilitating the discussion is a teacher. But as a parent, i feel responsible to teach my child certain things, and protect him from others. I feel that this falls into that category.

Robin