Re[2]: DSM: The Value of the Sudbury Model

From: David Rovner (rovners@netvision.net.il)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 09:50:03 EDT

Martin Wilke wrote:
>And it is exactly because of individual rights that I think education
>should be financed by community (i.e. by tax money). I want that every
>young person has an individual right to attend a democratic school
>regardless of their economic background.

Bear clearly in mind the meaning of the concept of "RIGHTS"
when you read the following list:

1. The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or
shops or farms or mines of the nation.

2. The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing
and recreation.

3. The right of every farmer to rise and sell his products at a return
which will give him and his family a decent living.

4. The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an
atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and dominion by
monopolies at home and abroad.

5. The right of every family to a decent home.

6. The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to
achieve and enjoy good health.

7. The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old
age, sickness, accidents and unemployment.

8. THE RIGHT TO A GOOD EDUCATION.

A single question added to each of the above eight clauses
would make the issue clear: AT WHOSE EXPENSE ?

Jobs, food, clothing, recreation (!), homes, medical care,
EDUCATION, etc., DO NOT GROW IN NATURE.
These are man-made value-goods and services produced
by men.

WHO is to provide them?

David Rovner rovners@netvision.net.il