Re: DSM: On Hybrid schools . . . Our Trojon Horse?

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 12:34:42 EDT

Hi everyone:

Scott David Gray wrote:

> The very thing that has made Sudbury Schools successful is
> the fact that the trust and freedom are COMPLETE. ...

I wonder to what extent the arguments for and against "hy-
brid" schools are merely semantic rather than basic.

One of my loves is logic, and I have found that in logic,
whenever one employs terms such as "absolute", "total",
"infinite", "complete", etc., one gets into absurd situations.

Thus, for instance, a hypothetically All-Powerful Being
must have the power to ask a question that He Himself
cannot possibly answer! This is of course quite absurd.

Similarly, if one gives others COMPLETE freedom, that
must include the freedom to take away the freedom of oth-
ers, and to keep it that way for ever and ever!

In that case, freedom cannot really be COMPLETE, now
can it. It can only be *nearly* complete. *Totally* com-
plete freedom entails also the total *lack* of freedom --
which is a paradox.

These "paradoxes", however, like the "Liar Paradox" and
the "Berry Paradox" -- i.e., the paradoxes of saying "This
sentence is false" (which is false even if it is true, and true
even if it is false!) and claiming that "The undefinable can be
defined as <That which cannot be defined>" (which allows
one to actually define the undefinable!) -- are merely seman-
tic, and have nothing to do with reality. They come about
because of the limitations of language. One can *enunciate*
them, but one cannot have them in reality: i.e., one cannot
bring them to others "on a platter", as it were.

Likewise, I think arguments about "TOTAL freedom", etc.,
are also merely semantic, and have nothing to do with real-
ity. The human mind, being incomplete and finite, just can-
not tackle the concept of completeness and totality. It
sometimes *thinks* it can do so, but that's an illusion.

Best wishes,

Ardeshir

Home Page: <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/education.html

BTW: If anyone is interested in exploring this "paradox
problem" further, I have discussed it in detail in my book
*Critique of Gödel's Theorem*, available for download
from my Home Page.

A.

"dsm-digest"