Re: DSM: troubles at PacVillage

From: Michelle Patzke (jjmp@voyager.net)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 11:34:05 EDT

>William Van Horn wrote:
>I can see that SVS is an ideal situation for many students. But what of the
>students who are not ready for complete responsibility, who would be lost in
>that situation because of all the "learning" they went through, to follow
>othersÕ rules, in public school or in their families? It seems that the
>people on this site involved with SVS just dismiss them back to the pit of
>public schools. "They donÕt *fit in* with us, so away with them!"
>
>Some kids need some initial direction or encouragement to get started, to
>become aware that they can have the freedom to make their own choices, and
>that those choices are special to them and because of that, worthy of
>pursuit. If we truly respect the individual we will recognize this need and
>respond to it. If this canÕt be done at SVS, where can it happen? Its
>unlikely to happen at public schools. What IÕm hearing on this list is that
>it is SVS or nothing. Everything else is less than SVS. I donÕt see how
>that is showing respect for students as individuals. You're saying the
>"system" of SVS is more important than the needs of the kids.

I disagree. I think you are right a Sudbury School is not for everyone
(see "Why The School Doesn't Work For Everyone" chapter in A Clearer View
book by SVS Press). I do not think the Sudbury model needs to adapt. I
think children and parents need the freedom to find a system that works for
them and their needs. I also think that the space given at Sudbury Schools
allows many children the space to come back to themselves and to learn
responsibility through the community feedback at Sudbury Schools, JC.
Also, Sudbury Schools are not isolating environments. People (adults and
children) interact all the time; help each other; learn from each other;
support each other. The point is interactions and the level of those
interactions are freely chosen by the participants.

Michelle
Chicago Sudbury School

>If you are interested in the subject, but the volume of mail sent is too
much,
>you may wish to consider unsubscribing from this list and subscribing to
>"dsm-digest"

"dsm-digest"