DSM: RE: Teens just want to be alone?

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 02:04:39 EST

> perhaps things will be
> better when the parents at SV are the students from SV.

Absolutely. The goal, at least for me, is that my kids will do things
better then me, and their kids better than them, etc. etc. etc.

> One was that the teens at SV just want
> to be left alone.

That sounds pretty simplistic to me. Teenage people are just as diverse
as people of other ages and have many of the same kinds of needs as
people of all ages. Sometimes people want to be left alone, sometime
they want to be social.

When I walk through the school, I am usually approached by at least one
or two teens desperately wanting to talk. By the same token these very
teens may be holed up somewhere the very next day not wanting to be
disturbed.

It sounded to me that the writer had a specific scenario or instance in
mind when he or she said this, as it is way too simplified to be applied
in such a general way for the dozens of teenagers at Sudbury Valley,
every minute of every day, even *if* someone could speak for them (which
they cannot). That's why I keep getting the feeling there's something
to these recent messages that is about things outside the listserve.

Joe

"dsm-digest"