Re: DSM: students rights

Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 09:32:58 EST

    Generally, I agreed with your e-mail. I found that it raised some
extremely productive and important points.
    It isn't that I disagree with you, but I would like to point out one
specific thing. Yes, I realize that it is hard to support anything 100% and
to expect "nothing less." But do you know, it is an extremely dangerous road
to walk on when addressing that concept.
     Specifically because I could understand people making the reasonable
argument: "Well, we can't go 100%, but we can get close, so we can't expect
absolutely NO coercion, and we can't expect absolutely NO political
affiliation, etc. This could easily occur.
     I am sure that it is not what you intended, but it is a concept one must
readily keep in mind. In my opinion, weather one is a Staff member at Sudbury
Valley or a founder of a new Sudbury School, these concepts are of vital
importance. Actually, I believe that it isn't that difficult if one is
committed to following the core beliefs of Sudbury Valley 100%. Indeed, I
would call it essential. And the reason that it is not difficult (there are
some difficulties, yes) is because they are few in number, and so clear, and
so simple.

-Travis W.

If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please send an email TO (do NOT reply to the mailing list) with the following