Re: DSM: students rights

From: BBWIA13@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 12:02:29 EST

Joe,

    Exactly right! Indeed, I hope more of us would be as realistic on this
issue. If we start employing the practice of analyzing what goes on in
parental life, as compared to school life, we will be entering a perpetual
abyss! If we analyze how the practices and principles overlap, how they
should or should not (as some of us have been, to a certain extent), then,
well, same goes.
    The reality is that these different worlds, even if people view them as a
kid of "should be the same," will never be the same. In other words, if you
say to me "Well, Sudbury is great, and, simplistically, parenting should be
the same," I will respect that view on an individual level.
     However, this is one of those contradictions so inherent, the only way
to deal with it is outfight acceptance. The Sudbury Philosophy may be strong
and resilient, but let us face facts. There are certain social institutions
(I am assuming, by speaking in said context, that we are all in agreement
with regard to parenting styles, even tough I realize we are not!) that will
never be changed or altered. Not even when hell freezes over. Any comparison
is irrelevant when discussing Sudbury in the same context a parenting, as
they do not, in my opinion, interceded or compare in any way, save on the
most barren individual level.

-Travis W.

-Travis W.

"dsm-digest"